Kodi

mik_69
Twitter ID: mik_69
Now Playing: Destiny 2, NFS Payback

Kodi

Postby mik_69 » 24 Feb 2016 20:32

Ok, following on from a conversation in chat earlier i said i would put down a few tips regarding what i know about using Kodi on an Android box. Maybe with some input from other users the thread could become a decent source of information for PSL members wishing to use it.

What is Kodi?

Kodi® (formerly known as XBMC™) is an award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media center for playing videos, music, pictures, games, and more. Kodi runs on Linux, OS X, Windows, iOS, and Android, featuring a 10-foot user interface for use with televisions and remote controls. It allows users to play and view most videos, music, podcasts, and other digital media files from local and network storage media and the internet.

Source = https://kodi.tv/about/

And it can be downloaded from the "Downloads" section on the source site.

What i presume 99.9% of people use it for and what i presume most reading the thread will be interested in is it's ability to download third party Add-Ons that allow the streaming and downloading of Sports / Movies / TV Shows etc.

Once Kodi is installed there are two main ways to do this that i know of. (a) Download each individual Add On you want (b) Download a Kodi Build which is already set up with a lot of the popular Add Ons and links.

Builds

One of the benefits of option (b) is you may find some very useful Add Ons you wouldn't have otherwise known about. While a downside is you may also get a lot of useless Add Ons that when they update regularly slow you down a bit. Although the Kodi Builds are fully customisable, meaning you can delete anything you don't want after install and add any extra Add Ons not included in the Build.

I've been using one called TheBlackboxOSTV which has recently been rebranded to Paradox. A quick Google search of "install paradox build for Kodi" should give you a quick Tutorial for this. Other popular Builds I've heard of are Beast, Nemesis and Wookie - i've not tried any of these but again a quick Google search should provide you with instructions.

Add Ons

Whether you are starting on a fresh install of Kodi or using a Build the method for installing Add Ons is exactly the same. It's basically a three step process of Adding a Source > Adding a Repository > Installing an Add On. Many Add Ons can be found in the same Repo, so once you have installed it once you just need to Install the Add On.

The best site i have found with guides for this is https://seo-michael.co.uk/. It doesn't appear to have a search option on the site itself so i always use Google and then click the Seo-michael link.

Which Add Ons should i use?

Exodus - brand new Add On from the Dev responsible for creating Genesis which was widely regarded as the best Add On for Movies / TV Shows. New Add On appears to do the same but hopefully even better.

Other popular options i;ve heard of for TV Shows / Movies is SALTS or Velocity.

Phoenix - Best Add On out there for Live Sports at the moment. Once installed head to the Valhalla page, then Live TV > Live Games and select which you want, usually in HD.

I hope that's clear and easy enough to understand for a complete Novice. I've tried to keep it simple and not waffle on too much. There's a lot more to it than that listed above but that's a start!!

Any questions hopefully we can post them here and someone on the site will know the answer, or at least where to find it!!

Keyop
Site Admin
Now Playing: GT Sport
Destiny 2
NFS Payback
Star Wars Battlefront II

Re: Kodi

Postby Keyop » 24 Feb 2016 20:44

Great post mik. Are you running dedicated hardware for it?

mik_69

Postby mik_69 » 24 Feb 2016 21:07

Keyop wrote:Great post mik. Are you running dedicated hardware for it?

Ive got two Android boxes in the two main TV rooms.

This one: CS918 Android Box

And one similar to this: MX Android Box

Both seem to work as well as each other. I only ever stream things but think you can also download to the box or external device if required.

The Amazon Fire Stick is also said to work really well with it.

Chuckleboy
Twitter ID: @Chuckleboy
Now Playing: BF1, Doom, SW:BF, Overwatch, Dishonored 1&2, Titanfall 2

Postby Chuckleboy » 24 Feb 2016 22:25

Cheers for the write up mik, lots of things to investigate :thumbsup:

Chuckleboy

Postby Chuckleboy » 25 Feb 2016 09:06

I have dones some investgating and Wow! there is a lot to look at and read about this stuff. I have been looking at boxes this morning on Amazon, and it can be a bit overwhelming at first, some appear to have addons pre-installed, some dont say anything about extra addons. Also the range of pricing on them goes from around £30 upto £100 and more.

I assume the price difference is only based build quality, and the addition of pre-installed add ons, other wise i guess all boxes do the same thing, some seem to be talking 4K but that not really something i would be worried about at this stage.

mik_69

Postby mik_69 » 25 Feb 2016 10:11

Yeah there certainly is a lot of stuff out there which can easily he overwhelming.

First box I bought was 45 quid on eBay pre loaded as I didn't have a clue what I was doing. It wasn't long before I was adding and deleting Add Ons and eventually I completely wiped all the original stuff and started afresh.

I'd be confident enough to say don't waste money on anything pre loaded. It's easy enough and there's enough assistance here to get what you want without paying extra.

My second box cost 28.99 last September and works great.

Chuckleboy

Postby Chuckleboy » 25 Feb 2016 10:44

Good to know :) thanks mik :thumbsup:

tlpn99
Legend
Twitter ID: tlpn99
Now Playing: Unchartered 3, MW3, Blops, BF3, Fifa 2012, Skyrim soon as Friday gets here. :)

Postby tlpn99 » 25 Feb 2016 11:03

Thanks Mik Exodus now installed and working great.

Funar
Site Admin
Twitter ID: @PSLFunar
Now Playing: Destiny, Destiny

Postby Funar » 25 Feb 2016 12:15

Great post thanks mik. With Apple there is only one way of doing things, no need to make choices and so quite easy to make your mind up. With Android it becomes a lot more complicated. With Kodi even more so.

So many choices, so many guides often conflicting, and I think this puts people off. Even for techie people like we seem to be. For me I didn't want to spend the time finding out for myself what works best so I have been waiting for you guys to tell me lol. I don't have a good enough Internet connection for streaming right now so it wan't too pressing a matter. But I am very interesting in the video add-on stuff now.

It is actually a good thing that this product runs on so many different platforms, phones, tablets, Linux boards and even Windows PCs. Yes it's quirky but it is worth breaking through the barriers. Thanks again mik :welldone:

Plaxinator
Legend
Twitter ID: JessUK98
Now Playing: Destiny 2
Battlefield 1
Gran Turismo Sport

Postby Plaxinator » 25 Feb 2016 13:33

How does this work in terms of privacy? Presumably your ISP will know what you are streaming. Mine can break down exactly how much GB I have used for streaming, gaming, VOIP, Peer to peer and web browsing etc. It also blocks various piracy sites (you know like The Pirate Bay and what not). Do you have some kind of VPN set up?