Kodi

stevo777
God
Twitter ID: stev0777
Now Playing: DESTINY

Re: Kodi

Postby stevo777 » 29 Mar 2016 13:36

I have just ordered a Firestick from Amazon based on this thread lol - will be here tomorrow. Have no idea what i am doing but i will follow the guide(s) that have been posted but may well need some help!

Chuckleboy
Twitter ID: @Chuckleboy
Now Playing: BF1, Doom, SW:BF, Overwatch, Dishonored 1&2, Titanfall 2

Postby Chuckleboy » 29 Mar 2016 14:03

stevo777 wrote:I have just ordered a Firestick from Amazon based on this thread lol - will be here tomorrow. Have no idea what i am doing but i will follow the guide(s) that have been posted but may well need some help!

nice one Stevo, I struggled to get the Kodi ARM download to start first of all but I think it was just being a little bit arkward for some reason. Once I got that bit done I just followed Funars guide on here for the PC install, works a treat!! :thumbsup:

Funar
Site Admin
Twitter ID: @PSLFunar
Now Playing: Destiny, Destiny

Postby Funar » 25 May 2016 14:08

Fire TV Stick is £29.99 at the moment. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-W87CUN- ... B00KAKUN3E

Funar
Site Admin

Postby Funar » 09 Jun 2016 11:22

I should have bought one of these for each TV when they were on sale. Just got my fibre broadband yesterday and am so impressed by Kodi and Amazon Prime in fact. I will try it with Netflix too. Such a nice way to stream content and seems handier than playstation, pi or chromecast.

I got a bit of a shock when I first connected as it looked like BT were blocking all Kodi streams. It turned out that I had to log into my new hub, Advanced Settings, Home Network, Smart Setup and disable it. After that all my streams came back. Dirty buggers. So check for this if you use a BT home hub and want to use Kodi.

Chuckleboy
Twitter ID: @Chuckleboy
Now Playing: BF1, Doom, SW:BF, Overwatch, Dishonored 1&2, Titanfall 2

Postby Chuckleboy » 09 Jun 2016 12:04

Thats strange Funar I've not had any issues like that, just worked fine first time for me, though you may have a different hub to me

Funar
Site Admin

Postby Funar » 09 Jun 2016 15:52

Could be although this fix was pretty common judging by the number of Google hits going back a few years. I did have a different BT hub for my copper ADSL connection but I never used that. I stuck with my Billion router and used the BT settings. Perhaps the home hub for fibre has different settings? There must be some reason why they sent out another one, but it just connects to the Openreach fibre router by RJ45.

Plaxinator
Legend
Twitter ID: JessUK98
Now Playing: Destiny 2
Battlefield 1
Gran Turismo Sport

Postby Plaxinator » 10 Jun 2016 12:16

Netflix works fine on it. I've given my Firestick to my sister, PIN protected so they don't inadvertently "buy" anything. My brother in law loves it and my niece is a big fan of the kids section on Netflix. Saved them a few quid as they have cancelled SKY.
I've still got "The Royalist" build on my Gigabrix box hooked up the the TV.

Funar
Site Admin

Postby Funar » 10 Jun 2016 12:51

That's good to know Plax. My son is getting Netflix so I bought him a FireTV Stick. Also got another for the main TV. Not sure how well my network will stand up to all this abuse but I'll find out tomorrow when everything arrives and is set up. Decent internet at home is so liberating.

mik_69
Twitter ID: mik_69
Now Playing: Destiny 2, NFS Payback

Postby mik_69 » 10 May 2017 08:37

Morning guys, I'm looking for some Kodi hardware related advice.

My two Android boxes are a good few years old now and both maxed out on Android 4.4 and 4.2. Kodi 17 requires Android 5.0 and above. This has not been an issue previously but lots of streams are now using SSL links which require kodi 17 so i am gradually seeing less and less viewing options on my set up.

Before they disappear completely I'm ready to upgrade. I've certainly had my monies worth out of these. The question is do I go Android box again (and potentially run into further similar issues down the line) or do I look at the other options. The problem is I don't really understand the other options so looking for your advice?

Android box - easy to set up, I know exactly how they work and will be great for everything that is available now. Not future proof, as current issues prove.

Amazon Fire TV Stick - the site I got all my info from recommended against the Fire TV Stick (without reason) but I know a lot of you guys have and like it. Does this run Android or does Kodi just download onto the OS? I know there's lots of info in this thread on it, just looking for quick answer now and if I buy I can read back through for installation etc.

Amazon Fire Box - this was recommended on the site but at 80 quid I see little benefit in spending this much for what I need. Unless anyone knows any different?

Raspberry Pi 3 - this seems the top recommendation but also looks quite complex for an old dude like me. As I see it, it's like a mini PC. Rather than use Android I'd just download Kodi to a desktop or similar and run from the? Also would be future proof in that it's not restricted by Android updates. Is there more to it than that though.

Pi and cover is less than 40, Fire Stick TV is 40 and Android box under 40 so price wise all the same. Which route is best? Or have I missed something, seen Nvidia mentioned but not looked at that.

Cheers guys!! :)

pablo2008jedi
God
Twitter ID: PabsTheGeek
Now Playing: With myself

Postby pablo2008jedi » 10 May 2017 08:45

I rarely use my Kodi now, I use apps on my phone and stream to chromecast :)