Kodi

Funar
Site Admin
Twitter ID: @PSLFunar
Now Playing: Destiny, Destiny

Re: Kodi

Postby Funar » 10 May 2017 10:21

Hiya mik. I love Raspberry Pis as you know, all kinds of pies in fact, but I don't know that it is the best solution for a living room. It isn't a neat a solution as the others but the hardware is excellent for the money. And it can do so much more on top of that.

I like the FireTV stick as it is neat and convenient with an excellent little remote. I would say that it doesn't have the same memory or CPU power as the others so may feel a little sluggish when going through menus, it may even effect the smoothness of playback and that would be my guess why people wouldn't recommend it. It has a pretty good phone app with voice control too.

If it was me I would go with the Fire TV Box. I don't know anything about the Android box solutions but I am well impressed with Amazon. I have Prime and Netflix too so it is handy for that. Kodi just sits like any other application in the apps list. Just an icon along with Netflix, iPLayer, channel 4 and channel 5 player icons, etc. It is an Android device but other than seeing familiar Android apps you wouldn't really know that it is running Android underneath.

mik_69
Twitter ID: mik_69
Now Playing: Destiny 2, NFS Payback

Postby mik_69 » 10 May 2017 13:01

The Pi isn't the neatest but there's a few cases out there that solve that.

Think my biggest issue with the Fire Stick would be the Wi-Fi only. My router is miles away so signal may drop. I've always used Ethernet for streaming.

Fire TV is just too much at £80 for what I want.

So guess it's either Pi or another Android box.

Funar
Site Admin

Postby Funar » 10 May 2017 13:39

Yes I was going to mention wifi only but forgot. That is a pain for some places in our house. I have wireless access points but some of them are not as well behaved as they should be. Mine is connected directly to the router wifi in the same room and is no problem. The others can be a pain and I restart the APs and the FireTVs now and again.

PI cases are fine and you should be able to get a nice short HDMI cable. It is the remote that is the main thing against pi for me. Having to buy a decent looking one is going to put the cost up a bit. Using a phone as the remote is fun as a novelty, but I don't like that as the main remote control.

If you don't have Prime and Netflix then the FireTV would be less attractive. I guess Netflix probably works on Android but I haven't tried.

pablo2008jedi
God
Twitter ID: PabsTheGeek
Now Playing: With myself

Postby pablo2008jedi » 10 May 2017 13:50

As I say, I use apps on my phone and "cast" them to my chromecast. Yes over wifi but never had an issue.

I also use Show Box and https://terrariumtv.com/ for those shows not out on *cough* mainstream tv/apps, obviously these are grey areas regarding legality :D

Funar
Site Admin

Postby Funar » 10 May 2017 14:20

You are a renegade :you: ;)

Haven't heard of those. Good to see that more things are castable now. I might have to resurrect my Chromecast and give it a go. I should be able to get some of those types of apps on a tablet as I don't have an Android phone. I think I can sideload but boy it has been a long long time since I bothered with anything like that. Not since switching to Kodi in fact :)

Funar
Site Admin

Postby Funar » 10 May 2017 14:25

Hmmm. LocalCast seems to be doing the work here. Is this real casting where you can start playing and just switch your phone off, or is it just mirroring what is playing on the phone? If it is proper casting, which I hope it is, I will definitely get my Chromecast back online.

mik_69
Twitter ID: mik_69
Now Playing: Destiny 2, NFS Payback

Postby mik_69 » 10 May 2017 15:12

Casting seems a long-winded way of doing it to me. I wouldn't want it all running on my phone as I may require that for other things at same time (ie. Kids watching film whilst I'm elsewhere).

I have the set up for a box and Ethernet already so it is probably looking like just an upgrade on that or the Pi which would fit same set up are definitely my better options.

Glad to see I wasn't really missinguch wity the others.

@Funar - everything Prime and Netflix offer I can get via Kodi so wouldn't bother with them. Plus Netflix is available on other things as well if required.

pablo2008jedi
God

Postby pablo2008jedi » 10 May 2017 15:18

Its not running on your phone, your phone is just a remote for casting. The stream is sent directly from the server to the chromecast device, not mirroring your phones screen.

Funar
Site Admin

Postby Funar » 10 May 2017 15:47

OK sounds good mik. Would be interested to hear if you go the pi route. It is an impressive little board. Maybe get minimiks playing Minecraft on it?

That's great news pabs. Proper casting. Quite a neat feature! I haven't tried Chomecast since getting a decent Internet connection so was trying to use it with downloads and that didn't work out well. Between that and more apps doing proper casting it definitely needs another look. The Chromecast is on the TV in my bedroom so it would be handy.

pablo2008jedi
God

Postby pablo2008jedi » 10 May 2017 17:15

Most TV apps do proper casting like iPlayer, all4 etc also Netflix.