Impressions & Reviews: Wolfenstein - The New Order (PS4)

Chuckleboy
Twitter ID: @Chuckleboy
Now Playing: BF1, Doom, SW:BF, Overwatch, Dishonored 1&2, Titanfall 2

Impressions & Reviews: Wolfenstein - The New Order (PS4)

Postby Chuckleboy » 21 May 2014 21:10

Wolfenstein is Awesome! Wolfenstein is great when your shooting Naziiiii’s :) …any how enough of that and onto what I think about the game so far…….I am loving it, the game has all the sensibilities and feel of an old school FPS shooter, very much in keeping with games like Doom, Quake and obviously the previous Wolfenstein games. It also has a sense of polish and style about it and so far the soundtrack isn’t too shabby either, moving from melodic acoustic guitar, similar to what was used in The Last of Us, for a more emotive feeling for cut-scenes during story progression to full on in your face ROCK for when the bullets are about to start flying and the body count is about to rise! :D

The guns I have used have all feel great and can’t wait to see what else there is on offer later in the game, so far it looks as though you can duel wield all standard guns as well as knives, you can also un-mount and carry BIG turret mini guns and really cause some chaos! Movement feels nice and quick and sprinting feels like a proper sprint rather than a slightly quick walk! This aids in the exploration of areas, and pressing crouch while sprinting will let you slide under low objects and into cover, you can also use L1 to peak around and over and walls and cover, very useful when being stealthy :thumbsup: There is a destructible cover system which looks great and works very well when the action gets going, with concrete pillars crumbling apart when you let rip with the mini gun. Selecting the right weapon is quick and easy, the weapon wheel lets you choose what gun or weapons you want and whether you want to go duel wield of not, simply hold R1 and select with the thumbstick :).

I need to give a little nod to the skills/perk system the game has as well, it’s not the usual collect XP points and use them to buy new skills/upgrades. The game has 4 skill trees (Stealth, Tactical, Assault and Demolition) each one you level up by achieving relevant tasks in the game by using different weapons and changing the way you play, go quiet and you will likely unlock more in your Stealth and Tactical trees, go LOUD and more skills in Assault and Demolition trees may start to unlock. I really like it as makes you think a little more about how you have to play the game to unlock what you think could be beneficial to you later in the game.

The game itself is very linear in design as you would expect from an FPS but there is a small amount of choice within some areas, you will likely always end up in the same place at the end of the section but to have options of different paths to the same objective it still a welcome touch. Sections have so far followed both corridor and wide opens areas and seem to be a good mixed of both so it’s not one corridor after another :fingerscrossed: that continues. Currently playing it on the difficulty above the default setting and at the moment finding it to be a nice balance, not so difficult I can’t take some risks, but try and take on too much at once and you will end up dead! There is the option to change the difficulty in the options menu but I refuse to do that any time a game has that option :hmph: Enemies have been varied and can be tackled in different ways depending on type and the situation, the AI is not the greatest but they will find cover and make it harder to clear a room/area and I have also been out flanked and surprised/killed a couple of times which is also good to see in a game like this :thumbsup:

I have put some video footage together of me playing the game so click the link below and have a look :D …….for me it’s back to the killing :evil:

VIDEO LINK

So Wolfenstein is done, and what a ride it was! from beginning to end this game had me hooked, it’s not trying anything flashy or complex, this is simply a well designed game with solid gameplay and a decent enough story to keep you playing till the end.

There are a few niggles here and there, pressing Square to pick up items like Ammo and Armour instead of an auto pick up system was pointed out to me, though I found it a minor frustration, also a section piloting a vehicle which meant I had to keep changing the control scheme between inverted and normal ;) when entering and exiting the vehicle throughout the 20ish minute section. Also I have noticed that even with the PS4’s grunt it still can’t seem to handle the textures system of the id Tech 5 engine, though this could also be a limitation with the developer rather than the tech itself. Another quick updated on the enemy AI I have mentioned above, it would seem the Nazis in this timeline are all deaf!! Even during a silent takedown a guard will make a noise as he dies yet the guy patrolling near him will do nothing unless he sees him fall down or he discovers the body. Also destructible crates which may contain ammo, armour or health packs, wooden ones you simply break open but the inclusion of the metal crates means you have to keep selecting your Laser gun to cut them open, not ideal when under fire!! and became quite an annoying task towards the end of the game.

Looking at the game as a whole now though the above issues, with the possible exception of the AI, pale in comparison to the amount of fun this game has given me, for sheer fun factor alone this game beats anything else I have played on the PS4 so far.

If you’ve watched the video link above you might think the game looks like one drab grey dark looking section after another, but don’t be fooled, this game takes place on/in all manner of places and environments and uses colour to great effect throughout which only helps to further bring the game to life. It also no slouch in the sound department either only adding more atmosphere to the game, guns, explosions and bullets whizzing about all sound great and the subtle grumbling growl of a yet unseen Panzerhound will make you sit up and take notice when you are trying to sneak about unnoticed. There is a great amount of variety in both the look and design of each area and this changes from chapter to chapter to keep things feeling fresh and exciting throughout the entire campaign. Finding a Map in each area goes a long way to aiding your exploration and progression and certainly helps when planning you next move as it can sometimes point out an area you may not have seen and give you an alternative route/point of attack. NPC character interaction was good, some are used a lot more than others but they all helped move the story on. The main Nazi NPC characters stole the show for me though, they were far more rounded and fleshed out and each of them had an underlying psychotic creepy edge about them which made them more real than the others you interact with.

I am gonna say this again, this is true Old-School FPS action as it should be in my opinion, there are sections where you may be accompanied by another NPC character but believe me you will be the one doing all the work, you’re a one man killing machine baby!! :D If you have played a lot of shooters you will likely be able to read the stereotypical signs as to how certain sections may pan out, you’re crawling through a vent shaft and drop into a large open area!! ….and there seems to be a lot of ammo, guns and armour sitting about, it all seems very quiet in here… :hmmm: oh look, a button, I guess I should go press that then?? This is all pretty standard stuff for a shooter but I don’t care! because the amount of fun and frustration that follows the pressing of that button is sooo worth it because the game is so well balanced in regards to the amount of ammo you have at any one time and what guns/pickups you have acquired on your way means you always feel like you are in with a chance despite what manner or SIZE! of enemy the game throws at you.

There is definitely some replay-ability with Wolfenstein, lots of collectables to find on a second play through as well as the chance to gain what looks to be an achievable Platinum Trophy. if this is the sort of solid game Bethesda and MachineGames can produce together then long may there partnership continue, I highly recommend this game to any FPS fan, this shows how it's meant to be done :thumbsup:

8.5/10

Waylander
Site Admin
Twitter ID: Waylander100
Now Playing: RotTR, Battlefield 1, SW: Battlefront

Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order - First Impressions

Postby Waylander » 21 May 2014 22:32

Nice one Chuckles! The video default setting is "friends only" so just changed it to public just now.

I just started this myself this evening & I already know I am going to love playing it. Very satisfactory gunplay! :D So far I can definitely recommend it to fans of shooters, but it's early days yet for me.

Keyop
Site Admin
Now Playing: GT Sport
Destiny 2
NFS Payback
Star Wars Battlefront II

Re: Impressions & Reviews: Wolfenstein - The New Order

Postby Keyop » 22 May 2014 17:19

I'll be picking this up soon. I do like a nice old fashioned shooter :)

Nice write up Chuckie Egg

Waylander
Site Admin

Re: Impressions & Reviews: Wolfenstein - The New Order (PS4)

Postby Waylander » 30 May 2014 21:38

Great write up mate! Did your wife help you? :teehee:

In all seriousness that is a very good write up of Wolfenstein: The New Order. I pretty much agree with everything Chuckles says there. It's a solid 8/10 for me. Not innovative to special enough for higher, but bloody good at what it does over it's fairly short lifespan to not deserve lower.

It's immense fun to play & handles really well. Although I found when running at speed I got disorientated quite easily & I did hear of some folk getting motion sickness from playing it. The story isn't complex but it plays out nicely & the acting & script are great. A particularly colourfully tongued Scotsman was a big highlight for me. lol Some great quotes out of his mouth! And a decent accent too, not like some of the shite I have heard in certain other games. Yeah, I'm looking at YOU Far Cry 3!

Bad points there are few. Minor niggles mostly. The pressing square to pick anything up is really annoying but you start to get the hang it. Although it remains annoying in particularly frantic firefights. Ammo, armour & health is plentiful & helps prove the emphasis of this title is squarely on old school OTT FUN. It's a bit short IMO though. I didn't steam through it at all. Took my time, looked around a bit, used stealth. Died a few times on boss fights & still got the 16 chapters done fairly quickly. There is some replay ability for collectibles & one big decision point perhaps but other than that there's not much to go back for. But hey, that does not make it a bad game!

A solid 8/10 & very glad I played it. I have never played a Wolfenstein title before btw.

Oh and, I didn't have an issue with inverting controls because quite frankly inverting is the proper & correct way to play anyway & chuckles' issues there help prove that. INVERTERS RULE FTW OK! lol

Keyop
Site Admin
Now Playing: GT Sport
Destiny 2
NFS Payback
Star Wars Battlefront II

Postby Keyop » 31 May 2014 16:04

Great to see the summary after completion. I'll be picking this up for some pew pew pew...

Waylander
Site Admin

Postby Waylander » 29 Oct 2017 14:50

Just giving this old impressions thread a bump since the new one has just come out. This title can be picked up super cheap these days if you've never played it. Bargain!