Need for Speed: Payback

pablo2008jedi
God
Twitter ID: PabsTheGeek
Now Playing: With myself

Re: Need for Speed: Payback

Postby pablo2008jedi » 26 Oct 2017 09:25

Still keeping my eye on this. Still not sure its for me as I generally I avoid arcade racers. But I don't seem to care for the "sim" games atm so maybe this is for me???

The story looks very "fast and furious" and the first few films are OK so I might like it.

Keyop
Site Admin
Now Playing: GT Sport
Destiny 2
NFS Payback
Star Wars Battlefront II

Postby Keyop » 26 Oct 2017 13:05

Some nice cars in there, all looking good so far. Should be a nice 'jump in to and do some stuff' type game. Just what I need with my sporadic game times. GT Sport has been kind of playing that way too so I'm hoping that play wise I'll be able to do the same with Payback.

mik_69
Twitter ID: mik_69
Now Playing: Destiny 2, NFS Payback

Postby mik_69 » 28 Oct 2017 10:07

It seems like ghost Games hosted a little event over the last week with a few Youtubers invited to sample the game and record a ton of live video. Then over the next week they are going to gradually release lots of stuff on the game.

Starting with garages and Customisation yesterday. Personally i'm not too big on customising the car, much prefer to race but i also don't mind a little bit of tweaking to spoilers, hoods, side rims etc here and there plus of course the all important colour change!! From reading Reddit it seems like this level of customisation is very important to tradition NFS enthusiasts and something they constantly demand from EA / Ghost so no surprise to see this level of customisation included:

Spoiler: Youtube Videos  

Not watched them all yet but i do kind of like what i'm seeing. Easy enough to do as much or as little as you want, doesn't seem like of any this effects your performance and there's any real requirement to customise a car if you don't want to.

The one thing i did pick up on was that not all parts are unlocked straight off the bat and requiring just enough cash. Some are locked behind challenges such as complete a x3 Drift events in this car with 2-star rating or reach 312kmph. Even if i never want to use the part i'll have fun trying to unlock all parts. :D

Funar
Site Admin
Twitter ID: @PSLFunar
Now Playing: Destiny, Destiny

Postby Funar » 28 Oct 2017 12:32

mik_69 wrote: Gameseek were offering it at £35 on their cyclonic deals but after 6 attempts where the deal was sold out in under i second i found out via Google they are indeed a big con and don;t actually appear to exist so Gameseek well and truly unfollowed and off list for potential purchases. Avoid them guys, hope this supposed "deal" backfires on them!!.

Deals may be bad but ordinary in stock games I have only had good experiences with GameSeek. Just got The New Order from them in less than 24hrs.

mik_69

Postby mik_69 » 03 Nov 2017 20:57

Seems it took a little while for the YouTube's to release their game content. And I've been quite busy this week so not had time to link anything as yet.

One thing first, the gameplay and car physics looks very good.

But, the main thing that's come out (and something I was worried about with the silence from the devs) the freeroam aspect is totally offline. You will NOT be able to cruise the map with your friends.

The only multi-player feature is Speedlists, five races of different varieties with a leader table.

Not great and not what I was hoping for really. If my "wanted" game list at the moment wasn't so short I would probably skip this until it drops in price (rather quickly I would think judging by breddit) but it's still on pre-order so will update once I've played it for myself. :ahwell:

Waylander
Site Admin
Twitter ID: Waylander100
Now Playing: RotTR, Battlefield 1, SW: Battlefront

Postby Waylander » 03 Nov 2017 21:40

Well that's disappointing. :(

Bluepip
Site Admin
Twitter ID: Bluepip
Now Playing: Baby Shark on YouTube....repeatedly!
Might get to play HZD sometime ;D

Postby Bluepip » 04 Nov 2017 03:27

Indeed, very disappointing. Thanks for the info Mik :thumbsup: Think I’ll now hold off this one until it drops in price and get HZD instead.

Keyop
Site Admin
Now Playing: GT Sport
Destiny 2
NFS Payback
Star Wars Battlefront II

Postby Keyop » 04 Nov 2017 07:56

That really is a shame and was the main thing that kept Burnout Paradise going for so long. Those challenges late at night, everyone racing across the map and barrel rolling off a cliff, great stuff.

I've not preordered and will wait now, but may not get it at all.

mik_69

Postby mik_69 » 13 Nov 2017 14:12

Ok, from around 8 people I knew potentially getting or at least interested in this I was the only one that took the plunge so I’ll try to give some brief first impressions (updated as I play more). Wasn't sure whether you wanted a new thread for this or just an update here.

I am about 6/7 hours in now over two nights play and so far overall I am enjoying what I have played and looking forward to racing some more.

The handling doesn’t feel too bad; it is very similar to what I recall from Rivals though probably a little bit more emphasis on drifting most corners than natural racing. Initially I was concerned as the base cars don’t handle too well but it doesn’t take long to get a few upgrades and a much smoother feel and more control. It’s not perfect, but it has a good arcade feel to it at the moment.

Speed Cards!! A lot was said before release about these and how they’ve been introduced to associate the inclusion of microtransactions which is clearly evident in how they are set up in the game. Although at present other than unlocking upgrades etc quicker I can’t see anything that is not achievable through normal play – the question being how long and how much grind of normal play is to be determined.

A more in-depth look at speed cards, spoilered for anyone that wants to find out for themselves or more so far anyone that doesn’t want to bore themselves with the long-winded process:

Spoiler:
Each race win grants you a random Speed Card (I’d say 90% of mine so far have been upgrades) which is (as far as I can see) locked to that specific vehicle. If the card is no-use to you or not what you are looking for you have two main options, sell it for in-game cash or for Trade Parts with the latter seemingly the obvious choice to me.

Trade Parts can be used in garages for a Targeted roll system where you can “Lock-in” and select a guaranteed specific part from the 6 options available (or a brand or a perk – these include speed / jump type bonuses and various perks which I’ve not really looked at yet as I see them coming more into play once my car is nearing max level). It takes 3 Trade Parts per roll although the outcome is still RNG in whether it will be an upgrade or not, so far most of the time it is. If not just Trade it in again so in essence you just lose the two trade parts.

Another option for parts is the Tune-up shops which sell various parts for your vehicle and these refresh on a regular basis so you never actually know quite what’s available, you may have to wait or try a different shop for what you are looking for. Not an issue at my current level but something I could potentially see becoming a pain further down the line. As your levels increase so does the cost of the required parts – understandably, only by a few grand at the moment but not sure how much the higher level parts are going to cost.

So that is where some tactical thinking comes in. With a base car at level 100 you can buy parts for as little as $9k. Even though you may not need those parts you can still Trade them for Trade Parts and a Targeted Roll which further down the line might become a lot more useful than scouring Tune Up shops for the perfect part. Time will tell whether the shops direct or buy & trade option will be more resourceful. Might be an idea to keep a banger at the back of the garage just in case.

Finally, there are Shipments (loot crates) which you get each time you level up or when you complete “X” amount of daily challenges. Pre launch information suggested you can get performance parts through these however so far I have only got Base Shipments which contain Bank, Trade Parts and a Vanity Item. Maybe I have to complete a certain number before you get a Premium Shipment which does contain Performance upgrades and otherwise appears to only be available through microtransactions.

Event wise without really spoiling anything the story as expected initially guides you through the 5 different racing styles within the game (race, off-road, drag, drift and runner) with you acquiring a vehicle for each and starting upgrading each. There are many side missions / activities to complete including Speed Runs, Speed Traps, Roaming Racers, Jumps, Billboards, Derelict cars / parts and other collectibles, plus possibly more I haven’t unlocked yet. Nearly everything you do is recorded on Autolog so you can continually challenge your Friends times / scores / speeds in pretty much everything you do.

The map is quite extensive compared to previous NFS games I’ve played and I’ve not covered close to half of it so difficult to comment on too much. But what I have seen does look quite impressive and I’ve not noticed any issues as yet that may affect gameplay. I do wonder if the sheer size and quality of it has had any relevance on why it didn’t make online freeroam although I can’t really see why it would.

There was something else I was going to talk about but I’ve had a brain freeze for now as I do tend to waffle on so I’ll have to come back to it. I’ve also not really looked at customisation; car-colouring or multiplayer so will also come back to them at a later date.

Any questions or anything anyone wants me to check / comment on please feel free to ask and I’ll do my best. I’ll try to provide some brief updates with each bit of progress I make but so far it’s been good fun and I’m glad I picked it up.

judoblo
God
Twitter ID: judoblo
Now Playing: Destiny

Postby judoblo » 13 Nov 2017 17:03

But how do the trees look?