No Man’s Sky

pablo2008jedi
God
Twitter ID: PabsTheGeek
Now Playing: With myself

Re: No Man’s Sky

Postby pablo2008jedi » 22 Aug 2016 12:42

I totally agree with Angry Joe, be careful though this review does have massive spoilers, at this point I didn't care in avoiding them

WeeCraig
Supporter
Twitter ID: giarceew

Postby WeeCraig » 23 Aug 2016 20:38

Now ive done what i set out to do. Which was reach the centre of the universe doing 544 warps and putting in about 100 hours.

I have watched the above review, and its perfect, totally worth the 36 minutes watching.

Heres some spoiler comments of my opinions of the 'ending'.

Spoiler:
And the video review completely makes up for the ending, what a complete waste of time and life. Could not recommend doing that. If you have not watched the video, basically when you reach the centre and activate to warp, it does a wee cut scene with some really cool music the zooms out right back to the edge of the galaxy where you start again in the 2nd galaxy, no changes whatsoever,and you dont actually go the the centre, and ive now seen there is over 11 galaxies and again it never changes in anyway, no reward, no point at all.

pablo2008jedi
God

Postby pablo2008jedi » 24 Aug 2016 06:50

@WeeGreg

Spoiler:
Yup, it's the reason I'm trading in today. My goal was the same as yours. But knowing it was going to take me several weeks (due to time to actually play the game) and the rumors about what happens I decided to spoiler myself. I'm glad I did.

Yes the review is spot on, I really wanted this to succeed. I knew the hype was beyond what the game was going to deliver. But the simple fact that up to 2 months before the game was released, there were plenty of interviews and videos showing what you could do, that aren't in the game. For the first 8 or so hours you are blown away with it, the fact you can point your ship up and fly to another planet/moon was incredible!! But after 3-4 warps everything started to get very samey. In fact trying to get blueprints was becoming a pain. I don't know how many duplicates I received.

I'd give it a 5/10, I think it's a great base to build upon, but I feel ripped off at the price I paid (and I only got it for £36)

mik_69
Twitter ID: mik_69
Now Playing: Destiny 2, NFS Payback

Postby mik_69 » 24 Aug 2016 08:51

@pablo2008jedi what features were shown in videos and interviews that aren't in the game?

I didnt watch too much before release and those I did watch are in the game (trade, discovery etc).

I haven't read your spoilers about the ending or watched that vid but the game plays out exactly as I expected. I never saw it as a blockbuster must play all the time title but one to drop in and out of between other things and in doing that it's certainly kept my interest for now.

WeeCraig
Supporter

Postby WeeCraig » 24 Aug 2016 09:00

The list would scare you Mik.

Landing on asteroids
Destroying spacestations and fleets
Giant fleets of ships
Large freighters actually moving
Faction Affiliations w/ Significance
Trade Ships Docking w/ Freighters
Large-Scale, Joinable Space Battles Between Factions.
NPC Ships Launching From The Ground
In-Atmosphere Freighters w/ Battling
Ringed Planets
Sand Planets
Planets Rotating and Orbiting Around a Sun
The Technical Possibility of Flying Between Star Systems Manually
Actual Ship Classes And Differentiation
Naming Ships
More Natural Flight Characteristics
Resources Depending On Distance From Sun, Environmental Factors
The Ability To Play The Game Solely As A Trade or Solely in Space
Crafting That Has Complexity
Find Elements By Checking Galactic Map
Large Creatures Affecting the Landscape
Rivers
Large Structures
Crashed Freighters
Structures With Moving Parts
Portals
Sentinels in Large Packs
Maintaining Wanted Level Indoors
Ambient Walker Sentinels
Being Able To See and Play With Other Players
Beacons Marking Points of Interest With Waypoints
Useful Marking with Binoculars
Hacking Reinforced Doors
Radio Chatter
Translucent Glass On Starships

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments ... h=31fe6ffb

WeeCraig
Supporter

Postby WeeCraig » 24 Aug 2016 09:04

And in that review video above it shows you all the footage and gameplay of most of these things in a earlier build which has all been pulled.

judoblo
God
Twitter ID: judoblo
Now Playing: Destiny

Postby judoblo » 24 Aug 2016 09:04

Glass on starships? lol

Some of those are stretching it a bit!!

Edit - read that as grass first time round! Now I'm mad that there aren't enough windows...

Funar
Site Admin
Twitter ID: @PSLFunar
Now Playing: Destiny, Destiny

Postby Funar » 24 Aug 2016 09:08

Yep I'm with mik. Yes checked it really was mik this time. It is playing out pretty much what I expected too from listening to you guys. I think any massive procedurally generated open "world" :er: game like this is almost bound to be very samey. There is only so much variation that you can allow in the programming parameters. OK it might be a little bit more rinse and repeat than I expected, but not much. Have you guys even played the original Elite? lol

I am a little surprised that some wanted to read every review possible, and maybe even the odd hint or two ;), rather than play it out for themselves. I think I am at the exact opposite end of the spectrum than some in that if I don't do it for myself and by myself then I don't want to know anything about any game. I'd rather just walk away. And as I have only actually finished a handful of games in 30+ years that means I have a heck of a lot of unfinished games. But I would still rather have it that way than read about how to play and find out what happens at the end. I could never jump to the end of a book to see what happens. Again, I have a few unfinished books, but not that many. I have way more unfinished movies and TV shows. But I wouldn't read reviews or watch the last episode or scene if I hadn't gone the whole way myself. OK I'm rambling, aren't I? :loon: I kind of forgot where I was going :whome:

pablo2008jedi
God

Postby pablo2008jedi » 24 Aug 2016 09:47

I followed every interview and video for the 2 years since EGX, the game was hyped to be the biggest most advanced open universe. Even up until 2 months before launch Sean mentioned features that are not in the current build, this biggest of these are the ability to "see" other players.

Needless to say I'm more disappointed in myself for believing what was promised. I know during development things change and features can be reduced, but this hasn't been well communicated. I certainly feel cheated for paying full price on what was delivered.

Spoiler:
and if the center was more of a big deal, I'd still be playing.

Funar
Site Admin
Twitter ID: @PSLFunar
Now Playing: Destiny, Destiny

Postby Funar » 24 Aug 2016 09:59

To be honest I didn't really know that the things you guys say were expected and are missing. That is kind of a huge deal and little wonder you are a bit turned off. Is it possible that some of these things could come as free updates and maybe a few paid for options in time, a bit like how Criterion launched and supported Burnout Paradise? What are the devs saying about all of these missing features?