PSL @ GT Academy National Final

Placcybag
Supporter
Now Playing: COD4, Motorstorm, Poker, Uncharted, UT3, Singstar, GTAIV
OFFICIALLY THE FASTEST PSL MEMBER IN REAL LIFE!

Re: PSL @ GT Academy National Final

Postby Placcybag » 21 Jul 2008 09:35

Well in Andy :hotrod:

Andy616
God
Now Playing: GT5
MS:A
LBP 2
GTA IV

Postby Andy616 » 22 Jul 2008 19:10

Thanks for the encouragement guys :D

I was 7th in the end due to taking 3 weeks off in the middle but did the sector times to win it by some margin so I've got as good a chance as anyone.

Had the phone call today from their PR guys with more details about the next stage.
Its being held at the British International Motorshow on 1st August and includes:

Travel to London,
Dinner the night before final,
2 nights in 4* hotel (Cumberland),
Entry to motor show,

:mexicanwave:

SixTwoEight
Supporter
Twitter ID: RobertLeader
Now Playing: PS4: DriveClub, The Witness
PS3: GRID AutoSport

Postby SixTwoEight » 22 Jul 2008 22:25

Dam, I'll be at the Motorshow on 2nd August, I could have watched u race? on the 1st

Will you have a crowd watching ?

anyways te best of luck Andy !

hypercollider
God
Twitter ID: hypercollider
Now Playing: Family Life 5

Postby hypercollider » 22 Jul 2008 23:16

Fantastic stuff Andy, so you'd be there "in person" on the 1st... Cosmos and I were considering visiting the motor show with all the SO's, it might swing it.

Andy616
God
LBP 2
GTA IV

Postby Andy616 » 23 Jul 2008 18:08

hypercollider wrote:Fantastic stuff Andy, so you'd be there "in person" on the 1st...

Yeah, got the official pack through today:

Its all happening on the 1st on the nissan stand with time trials in the morning and then head to head knockouts in the afternoon.

hypercollider
God
Twitter ID: hypercollider
Now Playing: Family Life 5

Postby hypercollider » 02 Aug 2008 11:58

How did it go?

Gazziboy
God
Now Playing: My fave Quotes from PSLers
SixTwoEight on helicopters in GTA IV "I come all the way to the airport and there are no choppers''. "there aint no moon, either" said Devios.
Me on Tiger Woods "R are working on new dlc for GTA IV. You play as Tiger and you cruise the streets, looking for prostitutes, in a big beamer". "like me? Joke!" said Hypercollider.
Bluepip humming 'sexual healing' by Marvin Gaye.

Postby Gazziboy » 06 Aug 2008 18:12

Andy, i hope that you pulverised the competition and made it to the next stage.

If anyone can find any sort of press on the results of the first stage, then please post them up. Thank you

Andy616
God
LBP 2
GTA IV

Postby Andy616 » 07 Aug 2008 15:50

Hi Guys

Apologies for not posting sooner, but I’ve been trying to sort out the mess that was the GT Academy National Final. Despite being the fastest and most consistent driver throughout the Time Trial rounds I eventually ended up 4th due to the way in which they decided the final four places.

The day started off badly when they couldn’t even set up four sets of identical equipment. As you can see from the picture below the fourth pod had a DFP wheel (which was faulty anyway) and the rest had DFGT’s. Apparently they had been used by the public for the previous two weeks and one of the GT’s had become faulty so they replaced it with the still faulty DFP. The organisers were informed of this immediately yet they did nothing until three people had used it, they then decided to replace it with the original (apparently faulty) DFGT. These three people were then allowed to do their laps again despite having three extra laps practice to everyone else.

Anyway, the Final: The organisers seemed to think it would be a good idea to hold the final in open pods on the stage of the Nissan stand. They mentioned head to head races in the schedules that they sent out (but not in the terms and conditions) but the last thing I expected was for them to do split-screen races (I’m not joking!). You couldn’t even hear the TV! You don’t have a proper rev counter nor can you see what gear you’re in as they are right on the side of the screen. Imagine driving a car with the dials taped over whilst wearing ear defenders and looking through a letter box, that’s what it was like. They may as well have drawn straws to decide who went through.

For both my races I used the wheel on the left side of the stage. No one who used that wheel won a head to head race, even though the car from that pod started in front on the grid, as they were struggling to keep control of the car. There were about ten crashes on that wheel where there was only one on the other pod and people were visibly struggling to keep control. Two of the four semi-finalists used both pods and seemed to be around 2 seconds per lap slower on average (if they completed a lap without crashing) on the left pod compared to the one on the right. I was approached by another competitor at the end and was told that the wheel on the left hand side of the stage was the faulty DFGT that I mentioned above. My car also did not accelerate away from the line properly in the last race. I have bought up these issues with the organisers and they have not exactly been helpful. They refuse to tell me who checked the equipment and what checks were carried out. They also refuse to comment on why there was no medical or any physical / mental aptitude tests which are clearly in the terms and conditions and they can’t offer me a viable explanation as to why my car was slow of the line.

They are now refusing to talk to me lol

One thing they did let slip was that the steering settings were left on default (amateur) mode. This means there is a steering assist to stop the car oversteering. What a load of Brad Pitt. As if there's going to be someone sat next to you in the real car helping you steer :nope:

Here are some quotes from other finalists on the GTPlanet forums:

“All of us drove without warm up and the worste thing was that we could not ear the car because of the general noise (be at the motor show was not a great idea).The stearing wheel was not set properly (probably default) force feedback very pour.”
“In the end driving skill (which everyone clearly had) took a back seat...”
“Having to initially use a DFP was a real let down. I completely lost all respect for the organisers when the various faults were immediately pointed out to them yet they did nothing. The bloke with the TV remote was looking to get himself a beating.”
“I also heard talk of people being distracted by the GTR moving in the background as it was visible through the perspex of the setup. The place it was set up could have been a bit better as a few people on the 4th unit had random people come alongside to take photos. Not ideal.”
“The last pod had a DFP for the first 3 drivers then the organisers change it to the new Logitech. Muppets. The other 3 all had the new Logitech.”
“Same crap everywhere!! ..this is unbelievable keeping in mind the money nissan + sony has put in this.”
“unreal isn't it...really hope the dutchies next week will have put some more effort in it,otherwise this is just a big lottery and they are not really searching for talent.....makes you wonder what and who came up with this acadamy,and if its just a advertisement stunt or not”

Source: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthrea ... 21&page=10

On the up side, the accommodation and travel were good, if only they had put as much effort into organising the final.

Oh, and the three people going through are: GTGENIUS1982, Nemmeh and Oldbeanee.

Keyop
Site Admin
Now Playing: GT Sport
Destiny 2
NFS Payback
Star Wars Battlefront II

Postby Keyop » 07 Aug 2008 16:09

That really sucks Andy....

I was under the impressions that the set up would have been clinical with attention to detail, so that the races would be fair across the board. It seems to have turned more into a publicity gimmick on the day rather than a chance for aspiring racers to prove their metal. I can't believe they did split screens after all that!

What a shambles....

I feel bad for you Andy as it's quite clear the setup on the day didn't really make this any more than a case who got lucky....

Gazziboy
God
Now Playing: My fave Quotes from PSLers
SixTwoEight on helicopters in GTA IV "I come all the way to the airport and there are no choppers''. "there aint no moon, either" said Devios.
Me on Tiger Woods "R are working on new dlc for GTA IV. You play as Tiger and you cruise the streets, looking for prostitutes, in a big beamer". "like me? Joke!" said Hypercollider.
Bluepip humming 'sexual healing' by Marvin Gaye.

Postby Gazziboy » 07 Aug 2008 16:47

What a shambles the setups and the head to head final sounded like. You would have thought the PD would have made a special version of the game which had LAN play so you wouldnt have had to do 2 Player split screen. And what if one of the top 3 has a bad heart condition or something. Well they wouldnt know without the physical tests. Amatuers

Commiserations Andy :you: