Need a new book.

johnboy1980
Legend
Now Playing: LBP, GH3+4, Dirt, Dirt and more Dirt

Need a new book.

Postby johnboy1980 » 02 Dec 2007 17:37

ok guys can you help me??? I've been getting a lot of aches and pains recently from over doing the Footy, this means i've been having a lot of hot baths to soothe my sore bones. :( Thing is i like to read when i'm in the bath and i need a good book but don't know what t get. Any suggestions??
I'm not really into autobiographies or memoirs etc, i like a bit of escapism. Fantasy novels, horror or thrillers. Can't be too complicated either cos i'm thick as mince! :doh: Recently read the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, last 2 Harry Potters (don't say a word) and a sort of sequel to Bram Stokers Dracula, The Historian. Thought about reading The Hobbit, what do you guys think?

Keyop
Site Admin
Now Playing: GT Sport
CoD WWII
Star Wars Battlefront II

Re: Need a new book.

Postby Keyop » 02 Dec 2007 17:47

Can't help you there, I don't read fiction at all. I'd much prefer to watch a film, though a tv in your bathroom is deemed unsafe according to the latest edition of the IEE Electrical Wiring regulations.

I only read factual stuff, history, science, natural history etc to feed my grey matter. I've never been able to get into a book, I've tried on many occasions, but I have a short attention span, it just doesn't work for me sadly.

badds
God
Twitter ID: badds1977
Now Playing: Whats it to you!?!

Postby badds » 02 Dec 2007 17:56

by the looks of what you just wrote mate this suggestion probaly wont be for you, but i hadnt read a book in 10 years til a mate of mine a month ago bought 'Sniper One' read it and forced me to give it ago.

its a true account of a british army sniper platoon in south iraq through the eyes of Sergeant Dan Mills, funny and the down side of war in equal measure i coulndt put it down

cant be much more help mate think the book before that was 'the cat in the hat' :D

johnboy1980
Legend

Postby johnboy1980 » 02 Dec 2007 18:23

Keyop wrote:Can't help you there, I don't read fiction at all. I'd much prefer to watch a film, though a tv in your bathroom is deemed unsafe according to the latest edition of the IEE Electrical Wiring regulations.

I only read factual stuff, history, science, natural history etc to feed my grey matter. I've never been able to get into a book, I've tried on many occasions, but I have a short attention span, it just doesn't work for me sadly.

I kinda know where you're coming from, i'm not a big reader either. It's just over the past few years that i've started to read a few books. Sometimes though a book can make you use your imagination in a way that a film would never be able to. That book i mentioned "The Historian" is being made into a film so it'll be interesting to see how it comes across on film compared to how i imagined it.

johnboy1980
Legend

Postby johnboy1980 » 02 Dec 2007 18:25

freedom35 wrote:by the looks of what you just wrote mate this suggestion probaly wont be for you, but i hadnt read a book in 10 years til a mate of mine a month ago bought 'Sniper One' read it and forced me to give it ago.

its a true account of a british army sniper platoon in south iraq through the eyes of Sergeant Dan Mills, funny and the down side of war in equal measure i coulndt put it down

cant be much more help mate think the book before that was 'the cat in the hat' :D

Cool, i'll keep it in mind anyway. The Cat In The Hat, class. :lol:

Arrold
God
Now Playing: Lego

Postby Arrold » 02 Dec 2007 18:59

I loved the LOTR books though I had my socks knocked off by Papillon, you tried that ?, it's supposed to be a true story though people say it's exagerated, if it is it's better for it in my opinion, the film doesn't just shorten the story it misses huge chunks out.

Placcybag
Supporter
Now Playing: COD4, Motorstorm, Poker, Uncharted, UT3, Singstar, GTAIV
OFFICIALLY THE FASTEST PSL MEMBER IN REAL LIFE!

Postby Placcybag » 02 Dec 2007 19:06

What about a PSP?

Waylander
Site Admin
Twitter ID: Waylander100
Now Playing: RotTR, Battlefield 1, SW: Battlefront

Postby Waylander » 02 Dec 2007 19:15

Placcybag wrote:What about a PSP?

Now there's an idea!

The Hobbit is good, but not as good as LOTR. Hobbit is often referred to as a kids book. I don't really think so. And even it is, so are the Harry Pottersz. I did my Higher RPR (Review of Personal Reading) on The Hobbit years ago. I got an A for it. :D :ugeek:

Anyhoo, you like Fantasy novels? I own a load, have read an absolute stack and Mrs Lander has read more than that! (well, shes gotta do something when I hog the TV all the time.) So I recommend you try Legend by David Gemmell and if you like it, start working your way through the rest of his books. You'll soon find where I get my username from! I also recommend The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. Those books are awesome. That'll do for starters...

johnboy1980
Legend

Postby johnboy1980 » 02 Dec 2007 19:17

Why didn't i think of that? :hmmm: Nah in all honesty i think i spend enough time immersed in the virtual world of gaming, think it's good for me to have other things to do, such as footy, although right now it doesn't feel like that's good for me. (injured) :(

johnboy1980
Legend

Postby johnboy1980 » 02 Dec 2007 19:23

Waylander wrote:

Now there's an idea!

The Hobbit is good, but not as good as LOTR. Hobbit is often referred to as a kids book. I don't really think so. And even it is, so are the Harry Pottersz. I did my Higher RPR (Review of Personal Reading) on The Hobbit years ago. I got an A for it. :D :ugeek:

Anyhoo, you like Fantasy novels? I own a load, have read an absolute stack and Mrs Lander has read more than that! (well, shes gotta do something when I hog the TV all the time.) So I recommend you try Legend by David Gemmell and if you like it, start working your way through the rest of his books. You'll soon find where I get my username from! I also recommend The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. Those books are awesome. That'll do for starters...

Nice one thanks, i've put a note in my mob phone for the next time i'm in town, i'll check them out.