Need a new book.

Odogg21
Legend

Re: Need a new book.

Postby Odogg21 » 29 Jul 2009 14:18

If there's one book that everyone here should read it's Jpod by Douglas Coupland.

It's about a group of dysfunctional, self-proclaimed mildly autistic video game developers based in Vancouver working on a new skateboarding title with events taking a turn for the worst when they have to some how add 'Jeff the charismatic turtle' into their game.

I honestly can't recommend Jpod enough – its blurb on the back cover simply says 'very funny, very evil' which sums it up perfectly.

Click this very here link to go to Jpod's very own website now

johnboy1980
Legend
Now Playing: LBP, GH3+4, Dirt, Dirt and more Dirt

Postby johnboy1980 » 31 Jul 2009 15:08

Hey JB! :) Good to see you around PSL way again!

I'm always around!

Nice little Superman quote there :D

Randomist
God
Now Playing: FIFA 12, Battlefield 3, Arkham City

Postby Randomist » 31 Jul 2009 22:11

Don't think i've noticed this thread before, ill be nicking a few ideas out of it for sure!

The most recent thing i read was The Strain by Guillemo Del Toro & Chuck Hogan. It's not the most elegantly written book in the world but it does have an interesting take on the whole vampire genre and kept me entertained during my lunch hours.

One which i would recommend is A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby which is essentially about 4 people who go to the same rooftop, on the same night with the intent to kill themselves. Each chapter is written from the perspective of one of the characters which i think plays into Hornby's strengths as he has always been able to write brilliantly in the first person, even when the character would appear to have no correlation with the man himself.

To be honest a lot of what i'm reading at the moment are graphic novels as i've only really got back into them over the last couple of years so im still going through the "must reads" that i've missed out on over the last 10 years or so. I'm not so sure that there are many on here who are interested in that kind of thing but if there are i'd welcome any recomendations or requests for recomendations. One thing i will say though is i'm not a fan of Marvel stuff at all really, way more on the DC and third party side of things!

Gibbs-
Legend
Now Playing: FIFA!

Postby Gibbs- » 01 Aug 2009 12:33

There is a new Dan Brown book coming out very soon, should be a good read!

hypercollider
God
Twitter ID: hypercollider
Now Playing: Family Life 5

Postby hypercollider » 01 Aug 2009 18:53

My recent reading
Factual
The God Delusion -- by Richard Dawkins
God is not Great -- by Christopher Hitchens
Old reading stuff (SF)
Fiction (most of Philip K(indred) Richard), e.g.
Flow my tears, the policeman said
A Scanner Darkly
Ubik

kjam1981
God
Now Playing: PS4 - Battlefield 4, FIFA 14, Resogun
PS3 - SSX, Tiger Woods 14, Amalur
Vita - Oddworld Strangers wrath, Rayman, Hustle Kings.

Postby kjam1981 » 02 Aug 2009 19:25

Odogg21 wrote:If there's one book that everyone here should read it's Jpod by Douglas Coupland.

Just ordered off ebay for 99p on your reconmendation

Sounds interesting to say the least lol

kjam1981
God
Now Playing: PS4 - Battlefield 4, FIFA 14, Resogun
PS3 - SSX, Tiger Woods 14, Amalur
Vita - Oddworld Strangers wrath, Rayman, Hustle Kings.

Postby kjam1981 » 18 Aug 2009 20:28

Odogg21 wrote:If there's one book that everyone here should read it's Jpod by Douglas Coupland.

It's about a group of dysfunctional, self-proclaimed mildly autistic video game developers based in Vancouver working on a new skateboarding title with events taking a turn for the worst when they have to some how add 'Jeff the charismatic turtle' into their game.

I honestly can't recommend Jpod enough – its blurb on the back cover simply says 'very funny, very evil' which sums it up perfectly.

Click this very here link to go to Jpod's very own website now

Thanks for reconmending this mate - im about 100 pages in and im addicted to reading it lol

So funny, very well written and i reconmend this to all PSL'ers out there!

One of the best books ive started in a long while

(To Odogg - didnt the letters to ronald mcdonald crack you up? lol)

Odogg21
Legend

Postby Odogg21 » 19 Aug 2009 10:09

kjam1981 wrote:Thanks for reconmending this mate - im about 100 pages in and im addicted to reading it lol

So funny, very well written and i reconmend this to all PSL'ers out there!

One of the best books ive started in a long while

(To Odogg - didnt the letters to ronald mcdonald crack you up? lol)

Good to hear you're enjoying it. The best thing about Jpod is that just when you think things can't get any more bizarre, they do!

The Ronald McDonald letters are absolutely hilarious – there's so many parts in the book that have had me genuinely laughing out loud which can be pretty embarrassing when you're on a plane or sitting by a pool :D

Funar
Site Admin
Twitter ID: @PSLFunar
Now Playing: Destiny, Destiny

Postby Funar » 12 Feb 2018 15:24

Funar wrote:Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan and all of his books.

This is now a show on Netflix. Not quite the same story but it does have the same technology and it is done really well. Quite Blade Runnerish. I will be reading this book again after I watch all 10 episodes.

Plaxinator
Legend
Twitter ID: JessUK98
Now Playing: Destiny 2
Battlefield 1
Gran Turismo Sport

Postby Plaxinator » 16 Feb 2018 11:57

Funar wrote:
Funar wrote:Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan and all of his books.

This is now a show on Netflix. Not quite the same story but it does have the same technology and it is done really well. Quite Blade Runnerish. I will be reading this book again after I watch all 10 episodes.

I didn't realise it was a book originally. I've watched the first couple of episodes and it's quite good. I enjoy the naked man scenes as well and question if that is his actual winky.