Need a new book.

Funar
Site Admin
Twitter ID: @PSLFunar
Now Playing: Destiny, Destiny

Re: Need a new book.

Postby Funar » 03 Dec 2007 03:01

Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan and all of his books.

Prey by Michael Crichton.

The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. A current book and a complete surprise to me. Loved it. Not exactly suitable for kids so hands off, Benny!

Old Man's War by John Scalzi (hard to find in the shops but there are alternatives ;) I just bought a Sony eBook reader) and the rest of his books are fantastic.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and the rest of the series

Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson and the other two Green Mars and Blue Mars.

Forever War by Joe Haldeman

River God by Wilbur Smith and the other 3 in the series.

On the Beach by Nevil Shute. An oldie but awesome. Not sci fi or fantasy exactly but pretty good.

I loved Stephen Donaldson's The Gap series but they are a hard slog, as are his Thomas Covenant books.

Stephen King's gunslinger books are pretty good.

I'm currently reading Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier and Warlock (rereading actually) by Wilbur Smith.

SBolton86
Legend
Now Playing: COD4
Burnout Paradise
GT5P

Postby SBolton86 » 03 Dec 2007 07:31

is that anything like brokeback mountain? :s

Funar
Site Admin

Postby Funar » 03 Dec 2007 13:18

Bolton21 wrote:is that anything like brokeback mountain? :s

lol. Nope, but other people have asked me that. Cold Mountain is the book that came out as a film a couple of years back. I haven't read or seend Brokeback Mountain yet but I have read one of her other books, The Shipping News, which I was thinking about including in the list. It just didn't fit the escapism requirement.

Hope all you guys are having fun. I picked up Time Crisis 4 and hope I'm not stopped by Airport security with my guncon 3.

johnboy1980
Legend
Now Playing: LBP, GH3+4, Dirt, Dirt and more Dirt

Postby johnboy1980 » 03 Dec 2007 17:45

Funar wrote:
Bolton21 wrote:is that anything like brokeback mountain? :s

lol. Nope, but other people have asked me that. Cold Mountain is the book that came out as a film a couple of years back. I haven't read or seend Brokeback Mountain yet but I have read one of her other books, The Shipping News, which I was thinking about including in the list. It just didn't fit the escapism requirement.

Hope all you guys are having fun. I picked up Time Crisis 4 and hope I'm not stopped by Airport security with my guncon 3.

Wow, thanks for that list. there's gotta be something in there for me! Didn't Cold Mountain have Nicole Kidman and Jude Law (i think) in it?? :hmmm:

Funar
Site Admin

Postby Funar » 05 Dec 2007 13:12

Yep, that's right. That's the one. I liked the film and the book is really well written. I fancied reading it after I was at Cold Mountain in Northern Carolina a couple of months ago.

Off that list I would recommend Altered Carbon first. I plan ro read Time Traveller's Wife again as that book really got to me. Good luck and let me know if you read any of these.

Waylander
Site Admin
Twitter ID: Waylander100
Now Playing: RotTR, Battlefield 1, SW: Battlefront

Postby Waylander » 13 Dec 2007 00:20

Right JB, James Herbert info as promised. You'd better read at least one of these! ;) It's been a long time since I read most of these, so I don't remember details, but I KNOW I loved reading them all. James Herbert probably my favourite "horror" writer. Most of his books are slow to get going, but by jove do they get going!!

The Magic Cottage. A couple move to a new cottage in the country where they enjoy the strange magic of the place. Only, it has bad magic too....
Everyone I've recommended this to has liked it.

Synopsis
"We thought we'd found our haven, a cottage deep in the heart of the forest. Charming, maybe a little run down, but so peaceful. That was the first part of the Magic. Midge's painting and my music soared to new heights of creativity. That was another part of the Magic. Our love for each other - well, that became the supreme Magic. But the cottage had an alternative side - The Bad Magic." "What happened to us there was horrendous beyond belief. The healings, the crazy sect who wanted our home for themselves, the hideous creatures that crawled from the nether regions, and the bats - oh God, the bats! Even now those terrible things seem impossible to me. Yet they happened..."
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Cottage-James-Herbert/dp/0330451561/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197503994&sr=1-1

The Ghosts of Sleath -
this one is all about ghosts. Its a sequal to Haunted, but I hadn't read that & don't need to have.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghosts-Sleath-James-Herbert/dp/0006475973/ref=pd_sbs_b?ie=UTF8&qid=1197503994&sr=1-1

Once -
This one is like an adult dark fairytale. Very different from his normal stuff Well worth a read. Its the one i read most recently, but he's got newer ones out I haven't a chance to read yet.
Synopsis
Remember the fairy stories you were told as a child? Tales of tiny, magical, winged beings and elves, wicked witches and goblins. Demons ...What if one day you found out they were true? What if, when you became an adult, you discovered they were all based on fact? What if you met the fantasy and it was all so very real? That's what happened to Thom Kindred. The wonders were revealed to him. But so were the horrors, for not far behind the Good, there always lurks the Bad. And the Bad had designs on Thom. The Bad would show him real evil. He would see the hellhagges and the demons. He would be touched by perverted passion. And corruption. And he would encounter his own worst nightmare. The Bad would seek to destroy him. And only the magic of the little beings would be able to help him. Once, James Herbert's masterful novel of erotic love and darkest horror, will take you to a realm where fantasy and refairytaleside, where faerytales really can come true.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Once-James-Herbert/dp/0330451839/ref=pd_sbs_b?ie=UTF8&qid=1197503994&sr=1-1

These are the more magicy, supernatural ones. He has loads of books and his earlier ones are more straight forwar horror. They're all good.

johnboy1980
Legend

Postby johnboy1980 » 13 Dec 2007 00:42

thanks Waylander. i'll definately check them out.

Waylander
Site Admin
Twitter ID: Waylander100
Now Playing: RotTR, Battlefield 1, SW: Battlefront

Postby Waylander » 04 Jan 2008 20:14

Hey JB, I bought The Historian for Mrs Landers Chrimble. She's started reading it and said its very good & nice to read to something different (like me its mostly fantasy she reads too). So thanks for the tip!!! :D :bow:

johnboy1980
Legend

Postby johnboy1980 » 04 Jan 2008 21:51

Waylander wrote:Hey JB, I bought The Historian for Mrs Landers Chrimble. She's started reading it and said its very good & nice to read to something different (like me its mostly fantasy she reads too). So thanks for the tip!!! :D :bow:

No probs glad to be of use. :nana:

Funar
Site Admin

Postby Funar » 08 Feb 2008 10:01

So JB, did you find anything interesting to read?

My youngest read the first book of His Dark Materials, Northern Lights (Golden Compass in the US), and is on the second one. I am reading the first one myself. Quite good I have to say.