Need a new book.

johnboy1980
Legend
Now Playing: LBP, GH3+4, Dirt, Dirt and more Dirt

Re: Need a new book.

Postby johnboy1980 » 08 Feb 2008 22:07

To be honest i haven't got around to getting anything as of yet Funar but i dolike to keep checking this thread so that i'm well prepared when the time comes that i do get a new book. I have thought about the Golden Compass book as i haven't seen the film as of yet and don't really know anything about the storyline so everything will be a surprise to me, i've heard it's a good read.

Funar
Site Admin
Twitter ID: @PSLFunar
Now Playing: Destiny, Destiny

Postby Funar » 09 Feb 2008 13:07

johnboy1980 wrote:To be honest i haven't got around to getting anything as of yet Funar but i dolike to keep checking this thread so that i'm well prepared when the time comes that i do get a new book. I have thought about the Golden Compass book as i haven't seen the film as of yet and don't really know anything about the storyline so everything will be a surprise to me, i've heard it's a good read.

I'm about half way through it now and it's much better than I expected. I'm surprised that BennyBhoy got through it like he did as it's more advanced than anything he has read before, I've discussed it with him and he really did get a full understanding, I think you would like this from what I remember about your tastes.

johnboy1980
Legend

Postby johnboy1980 » 10 Feb 2008 20:53

nice one, will prob try that out then. although i've been lucky enough that there's been a good response to this thread and a lot of good options. Should keep me busy for a while. :shock: :hmmm: :boring: :therethere: :D :whack:

Funar
Site Admin
Twitter ID: @PSLFunar
Now Playing: Destiny, Destiny

Postby Funar » 03 Apr 2008 10:21

Hey Arrold, we were just chatting about reading and thought I would give this a bump as there are some good recommendations in this thread.

Tell your sister to try Time Traveller's Wife. That's a great read.

Couple of great books - The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. Hard hitting stories set in Afghanistan around the time of the Soviets, then Mujahideen and then the Taliban. Brutal at times but great characters and I had a Crossfire scene from CoD4 in my mind when reading these.

His Dark Materials was really quite good. Got a little bit weird in the final book but the plots holds together nicely and I enjoyed the whole thing. It was comical when the Church attacked Harry Potter books but they do have a small point when it comes to this thrilogy.

Have bought and downloaded Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth which I will be reading next. If I like it I'll buy the recent sequel, World Without End. Also have an Ian Rankin book beside my bed that I want to read but can't remember what it's called.

Ian Rankin recommended this on Sky Arts' The Book Show :-

The Tin Roof Blowdown by James Lee Burke
Burke is the crime writers' crime writer. I always love his prose: it's poetic, it's wonderful; there's a real sense of rhythm and music to it. Set in New orleans in the aftermath of Hurricanin Katrina, there's an extra layer of passion and political commentary which hasn't been there in his work before, and that raises the bar. It's his best work yet and I expect it to win lots of awards.

Source: The Book Show

Snilercollider
Pro
Now Playing: KZ2 Fallout Skate Burnout

Postby Snilercollider » 04 Apr 2008 11:20

I love fantasy so i'll tell you my 2 all time favorites;

Exodus
Planet earth completely flooded, a small highland village is one of the last pieces of land, they go in search for a new home. Its amazing and it pictures a flooded planet so well.

The 'Blach Magician' trilogy (my favorite trilogy ever)
A slum girl discovers magical powers while her and her friends throw rocks at magicians during the purge. She's then chased by magicians (thats the first book 'them magicians guild') It follows her all the way through and she changes lots going through puberty.

My friends read Alex Rider and in my opinion its rubbish, he narrowly escapes death about 500 times and it is just action more action and guess what? Action. I get bored of that.

Every book needs some romance to make it interesting

Omegapirate
Legend
Now Playing: KZ2, Resi 5 , Street fighter 4, Fifa 09, Noby noby boy

Postby Omegapirate » 08 Apr 2008 17:36

The book of lost things by john connolly

And literally ANYTHING by terry pratchett
:D

johnboy1980
Legend

Postby johnboy1980 » 25 Jan 2009 17:02

Think it's time I read the Jaws novel. You'd probable be forgiven in thinking that I'd already done this if you look at my avatar. I have had a quick look at what possibly could be the next script for a Jaws movie. look up Dark Waters if anyone's interested.

Waylander
Site Admin
Twitter ID: Waylander100
Now Playing: RotTR, Battlefield 1, SW: Battlefront

Postby Waylander » 25 Jan 2009 19:38

johnboy1980 wrote:Think it's time I read the Jaws novel. You'd probable be forgiven in thinking that I'd already done this if you look at my avatar. I have had a quick look at what possibly could be the next script for a Jaws movie. look up Dark Waters if anyone's interested.

Hey JB! :wave: Long time no see round these parts!

I've read Jaws. Tis a good book. I shall look up Dark Waters. But we don't need another Jaws movie. Just a better killer shark movie than Deep Blue Sea would do! lol There supposed to be a film of Meg (I read that too) but I dunno what's happened to that movie.

johnboy1980
Legend

Postby johnboy1980 » 25 Jan 2009 20:02

Hello good buddy. Yeah I've not added anything for ages but i do still have a quick look in every now and again. You're probably absolutely right about the Jaws film thing, we probably do just need a well made shark film! (Not sure what the difference is really :D ) Funny that as I write this i am watching Jaws The Revenge, god it's awful! I also watched Deep Blue Sea about a week ago and it only annoyes me. Super sharks was a step too far, Great White Sharks are scary enough on their own and IT'S IMPOSSIBLE FOR A SHARK TO SWIM BACKWARDS, I don't care how bloody brainy they are. :arrold: Defo gonna get Jaws in book form now.

P.S Think it's hilarious that the smiley I used is named after Aarold. :laugh:

kjam1981
God
Now Playing: PS4 - Battlefield 4, FIFA 14, Resogun
PS3 - SSX, Tiger Woods 14, Amalur
Vita - Oddworld Strangers wrath, Rayman, Hustle Kings.

Postby kjam1981 » 26 Jan 2009 17:17

Ive probably only read about 20 books in my life to be honest and i only read fantasy books - cant beat escaping from the real world!

anyways i reconmend:

Hugh Cook - The Wazir and the witch (bit of a rip off of various other books but very good and theres lots more in the series but i cant remember the names although i have read about 3 of them and they are awesome)

Anything by Terry Pratchett (my favourites being 'the colour of magic' 'mort' 'pyramids' and 'guards, guards') - so funny, not many books make me laughh out loud but these have, and just brilliantly written

The Hobbit - better than Lord of the rings IMO but maybe cos ive got a really rubbish attention span or maybe its cos its the first book i ever remember reading and takes me back...

and i think thats about all i can reconmend cos its all ive read!!!

oh, and oddly enough ive just borrowed Dog the bounty Hunters Auto Biography from someone at work lol

nice thread by the way, im gonna pick up some of these books that have been mention, maybe the magic cottage first, sounds like my thing