Meteor Shower Tonight (Aug 12th)

Randomist
God
Now Playing: FIFA 12, Battlefield 3, Arkham City

Re: Meteor Shower Tonight

Postby Randomist » 11 Aug 2009 23:31

was quite a surprisingly clear night here so we were out in tha garden for about an hour and managed to see a few. Unfortunatly i wasnt at home and didnt think to take my camera with me, not that i would have captured much anyway!

philma
Legend
Now Playing: COD4, GTA, BFBC, BUZZ, MOTORSTORM PR, DEAD SPACE, KILLZONE 2, F1, PGA.

Postby philma » 12 Aug 2009 00:18

sat for about an hour. from 12 onwards. managed to see 7 in total. some better than others. might have been a few small ones but i think that was just my eyes making things up. was lucky with the weather tonight

SixTwoEight
Supporter
Twitter ID: RobertLeader
Now Playing: PS4: DriveClub, The Witness
PS3: GRID AutoSport

Postby SixTwoEight » 12 Aug 2009 09:28

Weather for tonight - Thick cloud and Rain moving south west across southern England, Norfolk, London then Southampton - so Sorry BluePip it will be probably raining around 9pm onwards for you.

I haven't seen any meteors, too much light polution now where I live, can only see the Plough clearly really, meteors would be appearing right of that and under Cassiopeia :( in the North-East skys

Keyop
Site Admin
Now Playing: Star Wars Battlefront
Battlefield 1

Postby Keyop » 12 Aug 2009 09:32

Meteors can appear anywhere in the sky six, but they'll seem to originate from that location

SixTwoEight
Supporter
Twitter ID: RobertLeader
Now Playing: PS4: DriveClub, The Witness
PS3: GRID AutoSport

Postby SixTwoEight » 12 Aug 2009 09:53

I know Keyop, been a meteor watcher, keen interest in Space, the universe etc all my life...

I wish I could take photos from my garden, but too built up now with the extentions people put on their houses with auto security lights etc :arrold:

Funar
Site Admin
Twitter ID: @PSLFunar
Now Playing: Destiny, Destiny

Postby Funar » 29 Jul 2010 12:41

Here we are again a year later. I will be in Essex for this. Do they have stars in Essex? :er:

This year's Perseid Meteors are blessed with very favourable conditions: Maximum is predicted for 21h on 12 August, and the Moon will be only 2 days old, so won't interfere. The radiant is circumpolar from Ireland, and so plenty of meteors should be seen any time after the sky gets dark that evening. In fact some Perseids can be seen any night from early August until about the 19th, but they are most frequent on the days around maximum.

The radiant lies roughly between Perseus and Cassiopeia, and so is rising in the NE each evening as twilight ends, but the meteors can be seen in any part of the sky. Many are bright, and some leave persistent 'trains' lasting a few seconds or so. In good conditions you can see an average of about one Perseid per minute

The link in the first post probably applies. I haven't checked the maps.

judoblo
God
Twitter ID: judoblo
Now Playing: Destiny

Postby judoblo » 29 Jul 2010 12:46

Funar wrote:Here we are again a year later.
Feck me, already??? At least I can confirm it will be mostly overcast in Cardiff on the 12th then lol

This will be the fourth year I'll not see any :(

Keyop
Site Admin
Now Playing: Star Wars Battlefront
Battlefield 1

Postby Keyop » 29 Jul 2010 13:26

you'll be lucky to see anything in grays funar

Funar
Site Admin
Twitter ID: @PSLFunar
Now Playing: Destiny, Destiny

Postby Funar » 12 Aug 2010 11:53

Looks like tonight will have 100% cloud cover for me :( http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-New ... works_Show

mancLadUK
God
Twitter ID: mancLaduk
Now Playing: BF3
Fifa 13
GT5

Postby mancLadUK » 12 Aug 2010 12:03

Funar don't know if you do Twitter or not but Prof Brian Cox is on there. Thought he would interest you ;)

http://twitter.com/ProfBrianCox