Funar
Site Admin
Twitter ID: @PSLFunar
Now Playing: Destiny, Destiny

Re: New Film Recommendations

Postby Funar » 13 Aug 2014 14:51

Divergent

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1840309/

This movie is a Hunger Games wannabe, but nowhere near as good despite being similarly rated on imdb. It's OK but the plot doesn't really hold water. In a post apocalyptic future society is divided into the five groups/factions/personaliy types seen in the poster above, and if you don't fit in you are factionless and have to rummage around in bins for your daily bread. That's the first big problem for me as the sum of these five groups can't possibly form a complete functioning society.

Ignoring all of that there is a story to follow and this is a good enough watch if you don't have anything better to do. The way factions are chosen and what happens the new initiates is pretty good. There is a pivotal event, which you can see coming, up to which I was quite enjoying developments. At this point, perhaps due to my age or maybe it was past my bed time, I reached the limits of my attention span and my brain switched off and I coasted through the rest of the movie. Some good fighting scenes and some good baddies along the way.

I haven't done a great job selling this so if you see it you might enjoy it a lot better than you thought you would :). If Hunger Games is about an 8 then Divergent is about a 6.5 for me.

Funar
Site Admin

Postby Funar » 15 Oct 2014 12:09

I really enjoyed this film. The acting was excellent as was the whole look and feel of the movie. Three actors from the tough Dublin crime drama series, Love Hate, do a fantastic job. My kids tell me that the main actor, Jack O'Connell, is from some teenage drama but he really does a superb job here. I was still a kid in 1971 but from what I remember from this period up to maybe five years later everything looks spot on from the uniforms to the vehicles to the weapons. Holy crap this story is brutal in places and there is real tension throughout.

From my point of view it is very realistic but others from this part of the world may have a big problem with how negatively the security forces are portrayed, or rather the top brass and the military intelligence community. Also the role, conditions and mindset of the squaddies is just the way I understood it to be. That's about as political as I am going to get and I know the troubles bores the ar$e off most people.

This story isn't about telling people what the troubles were (are?) all about, so don't let that put you off giving this one a go. It's a fictitious story about a specific incident when Private Gary Hook gets left behind while on patrol on the streets of nationalist Belfast supporting the RUC. How that must have felt comes through so vividly and you can almost taste the fear and tension. This guy had no clue where he was or even where his barracks was as he was newly posted to Belfast. He didn't know who he could speak to or what community they were from or who would be likely to help him or kill him. He did know he was in some seriously deep sh1t and that he would be very lucky to survive. The story is about the interactions he had with various characters along the way and is done so well.

The ending isn't great I have to say. It's one of those movies where you are left thinking is that really it? Are they going to leave it at that? Almost like there is going to be a sequel but I would doubt that. Overall I would give it a 9, but if I wasn't from this part of the world and watching it in the middle of Belfast I don't know if I would feel quite the same. Definitely worth an 8 for most people I would say.

Funar
Site Admin

Postby Funar » 31 Oct 2014 12:14

Draft Day

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2223990/

This was a lot better than I expected. I do watch NFL but you don't really have to be a fan to enjoy the movie. The NFL draft system is pretty hectic and it's not really the same as soccer transfer windows. Trading and free agent signing goes on as you might expect but the draft is how college players get to become professional footballers. It is seven rounds where each of the 32 teams get to pick a new player, playground round robin style, with the worst performing team getting first pick. Which team the college players want to play for doesn't really come into it.

Every NFL draft involves a lot of real-time horse trading with teams making arrangements for trades and swaps for existing players and new picks between themselves. It's a mad process and that is what this movie is all about. Costner does a pretty good job and the tensions build up very nicely. There isn't a lot of sports action so this movie is more like Football Manager than FIFA in gaming terms. I liked the way they showed the home stadium for a new team they were bringing into the story. For me it's about a 7.5 and worth a watch.

Funar
Site Admin

Postby Funar » 05 Feb 2015 15:14

Fury

I guess you have to like the genre, but for people like me who do this is a cracking movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it. No Academy Award nominations?? :er: No "snob appeal" according to another site. It's a 9 from me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2713180/

tlpn99
Legend
Twitter ID: tlpn99
Now Playing: Unchartered 3, MW3, Blops, BF3, Fifa 2012, Skyrim soon as Friday gets here. :)

Postby tlpn99 » 08 Feb 2015 17:55

John Wick is amazing. Keanu Reeves plays a serious bad Khyber Pass in it. Not out yet so I watched it on a crystal clear link on my Android Box using Navi X. Didn't think ti would show up as on Go Movies the link was just showing as empty.

Anyway worth a watch when you get round to it. :)

pablo2008jedi
God
Twitter ID: PabsTheGeek
Now Playing: With myself

Postby pablo2008jedi » 09 Feb 2015 08:58

Big Hero 6

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2245084/

Seriously...get this watched!

You'll laugh and cry.... 10/10 for me!

oliviarose
Grunt
Now Playing: CoD

Postby oliviarose » 29 Dec 2015 11:53

I loved Zombieland and thought Woody Harrelson was great. Watched the latest bond film Spectre and was a bit disappointed

Funar
Site Admin

Postby Funar » 17 Jun 2016 13:24

I loved Big Hero 6. What a movie!

This one is not a new film but I watched it for the first time this week and really enjoyed it. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a murder mystery that brings together a private eye, a struggling actress, and a thief masquerading as an actor. Really had me laughing out loud in places. It's a neo-noir style movie with Robert Downey Jr as the narrator. Some nice :boobies: as well. The humour is delivered really fast and I'm sure there is lots I didn't pick up so I'm looking forward to watching this again.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373469/ 7.6/10 probably about right

American Ultra is on Sky at the moment. Really enjoyed this one as well. Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart do a great job as a "stoner" and his girlfriend/CIA minder. It's not meant to be believable, just good fun and action. No :boobies: but Jesse and John Leguizamo are quite funny in places.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3316948/ 6.1/10 seems a little low to me. 6.8 maybe.

Chuckleboy
Twitter ID: @Chuckleboy
Now Playing: BF1, Doom, SW:BF, Overwatch, Dishonored 1&2, Titanfall 2

Postby Chuckleboy » 17 Jun 2016 14:06

I love Kiss Kiss Bang Bang :) top top film, keep an eye out for The Nice Guys Funar, currently doing the rounds at the Cinema, same director and similar style :)

NSFW Trailer below, gots swears in it! :D

pablo2008jedi
God
Twitter ID: PabsTheGeek
Now Playing: With myself

Postby pablo2008jedi » 17 Jun 2016 14:39

American Ultra is so funny, its rather good!